Have you ever read The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards (1722-1723) ?

Lane and I recently read through these again and were stabbed with a renewed longing for the passion Edwards had towards glorifying God with holy conduct and godliness (2Peter 3:11). Here are just a few of the Resolutions...

5. Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.

7. Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

8. Resolved, To act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings, as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

20. Resolved, To maintain the strictest temperance in eating and drinking.

24. Resolved, Whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then, both carefully endeavour to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.

25. Resolved, To examine carefully and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and so direct all my forces against it.

28. Resolved, To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive, myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

44. Resolved, That no other end but religion shall have any influence at all on any of my actions; and that no action shall be, in the least circumstance, any otherwise than the religious end will carry it.

45. Resolved, Never to allow any pleasure or grief, joy or sorrow, nor any affection at all, nor any degree of affection, nor any circumstance relating to it, but what helps religion.


52. I frequently hear persons in old age say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, That I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age.

57. Resolved, When I fear misfortunes and adversity, to examine whether I have done my duty, and resolve to do it and let the event be just as Providence orders it. I will, as far as I can, be concerned about nothing but my duty and my sin.

3 comments:

Season of Life said...

Good post to share...J Edwards' Resolutions. They are a definate challenge for any Christian in their daily walk with God, reminding me (as with Valley of Vision) how often I truly fall, but how merciful Jesus is.

As Piper would say, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

That we would be most satisfied in Him...

@-->---

Joel said...

Great post Mrs. Burnsed.


Joel

Laura {{* *}} said...

I am so grateful for those that have gone before us, and left us with words such as these.

Thanks for unearthing them and sharing them with us!

Love that word.
Resolved.

{{* *}}